-Heminger-Burke Requiem-
So I've come to this, Lois Heminger-Burke,
Long from the mid-western banks of the river.
But in this I am not alone.
The children are grown,— yours and mine
As I read of your death by-chance,
Years after you had died
"After a short illness" as it was written
Years after you had died
"After a short illness" as it was written
At Fairfax Hospital
In the Commonwealth of Virginia.
There I was again, lurking within
The cold machinery, foraging into
A distant history for the stories I'd lift
Of the people I've encountered, intruding
Of the people I've encountered, intruding
Into their living quarters, but only
The dark obituary showed-up with your name
With nothing of the light once known to me
And I ran from that darkness
With nothing of the light once known to me
And I ran from that darkness
Into the distance where I could see clearly
Never so young as at that moment
Running toward the Huron.
On the anniversary of her death. 1/18/1997
Thank you for your remembrance of my sister, an unexpected find. 22 years this month, too soon, too long gone.
ReplyDelete